BETTER BY WATER
A wintry River Thames took centre stage as the world famous fashion house Alexander McQueen launched the global campaign for their Spring/Summer 2021 collection with an eye-catching promotional video.
Created by the renowned director Jonathan Glazer – the man behind the famous Guinness Surfer advert and gangster movie Sexy Beast – the emotionally-charged film, called First Light, showed models swapping the catwalk for the foreshores of the Thames.
Here’s how we helped make it happen…
HOW LIVETT'S MADE IT HAPPEN
With a combination of coronavirus restrictions, freezing cold weather and tidal constraints, this was a tricky project to plan for from the outset. But no challenge is too big for the highly experienced Livett’s team!
A week’s worth of filming was required by the production team, with footage to be shot on both the banks and foreshores of the Thames in two separate locations – South Bank and Deptford. Once the necessary permissions had been granted, the construction of the set had to be meticulously planned owing to the changing tides.
As ever, safety was of paramount importance. We enlisted a team of divers to support our safety boat work, which was carried out between Lima Lima I and Artemis, while Echo Lima I was deployed as a camera boat. There were many issues to overcome both in the development and execution of the shoot, but thanks to extremely careful planning, the shoot went completely to plan and without incident.
And it wasn’t long before we were able to see the results of everyone’s hard work. As part of the launch the following month, the film was beamed onto the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, generating a significant amount of press coverage for a very happy client!
Livett’s Group Director Ed Livett: “We are absolutely delighted with how this often challenging shoot went. There were many potential stumbling blocks, but our extensive experience ensured everything went perfectly to plan and the end result is fantastic. We have actually seen a lot of recent interest from fashion brands wanting to utilise the incredible backdrop of the River Thames for their campaign, so we look forward to helping them realise their vision on the water as well!”
- The Telegraph | Alexander McQueen swaps catwalk for mudlarking in the Thames to show new collection
- Campaign Live | Alexander McQueen “First Light” by Jonathan Glazer
- AnOther | Models Swap the Runway for the River in Alexander McQueen’s New Film
- Rain | Alexander McQueen Film “First Light”
- Interview Magazine | Alexander McQueen Gets the Jonathan Glazer Treatment
- Dazed | Watch McQueen’s models wade through the Thames in a new film
- The Cut | Watch An Eerie Fashion Film From Alexander McQueen
- Paper | Alexander McQueen’s New Film Is A Whole Mood